Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Interesting...

These are excepts from the CEU network forum tread about Oct 23.


Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:29 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friends and I ended up right in the middle of the crowd by accident...By the time I reached the upper floor of the Deak Ferenc Ter I could see the smoke, it was a tear gas granade, thrown or shot by the police. It went all the way down into the underground territory. People were running around, some stood shocked, some were scared, but most of them were not prepared to be in such a situation. When I rushed out to the street I ended up in a cloud of tear gas, which was shot by the police every 20 to 30 seconds into the crowd. I saw the old Soviet truck being pushed towards the riot police, I saw how the protestants [sic] started the old Soviet tank and tried to guide it through the crowd, but I saw no barricades there. I saw no extremists, skinheads or fascists. As a matter of fact, the more I was moving away from the epicentre the more surprised I was. It almost looked like the crowd wanted to have a regular demonstration and the government didn't want that to happen. People around me were in their 30's and 40's. I saw a large group of old people, in their 60's and 70's. What really surprised me was the riot police...I saw the police officer on horse hitting a woman right in front of me. Her only fault was that she was not fast enough to turn away from a galloping horse. This happened about 150 meters away from the epicentre, where the riot police were standing in line. I saw police officers beating the crap out of anyone they can catch and drag behind their lines. And I was extremely surprised to hear that the police acted professional and legitimate. Throwing tear gas into the subway underground territory is extremely dangerous and unjustifiable. Riding over protestants [sic] with horses is hard to justify as well. But then again, maybe I am just overreacting. After all, I don't know all the truth about the people who were surrounding me in the crowd, except for their age and their appearance (seemed like regular Hungarians to me). After all, maybe the police did act professionally and it's a new European police tactic of breaking up the crowd with rubber bullets, water, gas and horses. After all, maybe right wing extremists are young people, elderly and middle aged regular Hungarian protestants [sic].




Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Strange things are happening...Halfyear ago, in Vladivostok, a police officer hit a woman in front of TV camera and was immediately fired. Until now I didn't hear about any policemen arrested for his actions against innocent people.




Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 pm Post subject: Budapest is Politicaly Hot....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Political Scientist it a very interesting thing to observe. as an American I feel like Hungary has something in common with the United States Independence. May-be there should be somthing the people can better identify with like parades, fireworks, a day off from school and work...I'm very happy for Hungary. Not to long ago Americans were not aloud behind the iron curtain. now here I am that says allot.
...You see, Hungary is a very politicaly opressed country, it has been ruled by so many for the past two thousand years. its a political phenomena we can observe first hand. its a very beutiful thing.


Ok, so I still stand to be convinced that the last guy on the thread is an American (hello syntax), or even a sensible human being. I understand the draw towards witnessing and recording political events like these, but its a little sickly to call police violence and mass rioting a "beautiful thing". I cant recall the last time I say someone get their face ground to a pulp and then commented on the beautiful interpersonal harmony that is forged from violent social behavior control. I dunno. I'm glad these threads are anonymous, cause this guy is just asking for a smack down.

Also, I have to add that I too am surprised that the police violence isn't really being responded to. Even if there is no official response to officers acting out of line, there is usally a public outcry.

Where are the crowds of people shouting "Rodney King!" over and over? Aren't they supposed to be here?

Well, at least teh politicos are still getting each others panties in a wad. This article was posted by Caboodle.hu


Parliament rejects session to discuss Budapest riots
By: HATC
2006-10-25 09:42:00

Parliament's House Committee yesterday dismissed appeals for a special session to discuss the previous day's riots in Budapest.

Prime Minister Ferenc Gyurcsány spoke about the events in a speech before the day's main business, though Fidesz and Christian Democrat MPs left the chamber in line with their boycotting policy.

Gyurcsány said: "those who sought to hurt me have taken their revenge on the nation. Demonstration is rightful but we will not tolerate riots and I expect the police to fight against them with all their might," he added. "They do not understand what they are playing with," continued Gyurcsány, turning to the empty Fidesz seats. "This situation was brought about by a politician who does not respect God, nor human and constitutional democracy," he declared.

Parliamentary regulations require debates to be declared 14-28 days in advance. Fidesz and the Christian Democrats dropped their plan to hold a debate on the riots because of these requirements and will instead raise questions at official meetings of the law enforcement, human rights and national security House committees.

"This extraordinary situation arose because a police attack was ordered on the opposition's demonstration," said Fidesz caucus leader Tibor Navracsics.

Free Democrat chairman Gábor Kuncze retorted: "We have reached new heights of political idiocy, hearing that the police provoked peaceful demonstrators, who were equipped with metal balls and molotov cocktails under Árpád flags." The red and white striped Árpád flags were also used by the Hungary's Nazi Arrow Cross movement.

"The original offence was Gyurcsány offending the nation, but Orbán's reckless behaviour is also leading the country to anarchy," said Democratic Forum leader Ibolya Dávid. "Both should resign," she concluded.


For the record, my impression is that the people who were waiving the red and white flags had more to do with the Greater Hungary cause than an anti-semitic one, but I can't really back that up. I mean, I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home