Monday, September 25, 2006

The Szimple Life

So, a few interesting things happened this weekend. The good news is, I was cultured and educated. The bad news is, it was by one of these guys:

3 guesses which one. Say hello to my department, y'all.

So anyway, last friday, I went with Asa to Rosh Hoshanah services at the main synagogue in Budapest. This place is beyond description. It is absolutely gorgeous both inside and out, and is allegedly the largest synagogue in Europe. We didn't stay too long, as Asa was weirded out by the use of an organ and hymn-like singing. He said that he felt like he was in mass. Not that I was bothered. But anyway, off we went for more adventures.

A bunch of use went to this huge outdoor bar on Thursday called Szimpla, which is about 1 km from Jokai Ter where we live. It is on Kazinczky Utca (thats Hungarian for "road", in case you didn't put that together on your own), and they have marked the significance of this address by putting this on the back of the door to the men's room:


He he. Excellent. This place is in the courtyard of an old soviet factory block, as are most of the awesome places in this city (speaking of which, look for a posting on Tuzrakter soon, which may just be my reason to live for the next 10 months). On this night, an old documentary on animals in the Budapest zoo--they have raccoons in the zoo, y'all--and were playing some excellent house music. 1L of Dreher Bak, which is like Hungarian Guiness, is 400, HUF. Thats less than $2. You can also buy silk tank tops and a new cell phone at the bar. Hungary really is into the all-inclusive set up. I love it.




Oh yea, formal introductions. Guys, meet my flatmates. Thats Stephen, me, Wyatt, and Marko. Our house is called "The Szinpad." The name actually makes sense if you know that our frontdoor is under a huge neon sign that reads "Kolibri Szinhaz". I ain't gonna tell ya. You gotta look it up. Our door buzzer is labeled "You just lost the game." We think that we rule.

Also, this is Sanida, who went to Hockaday. She's been living in Bulgaria for the last 5 years though, and doesn't really identify as American anymore, though I often remind her that I know where her parents live. She taught me the Bulgarian way to drink Turkish coffee and read the grounds when I was done. She's pretty rad.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home