Sunday, September 10, 2006

Now, I will never get that milkshake. Daaang.

I missed the entire flight to Frankfurt. I was on it, but no where close to conscious for a moment of it. The guy next to me was talking very enthusiastically about how wonderful all the ambien he had chowed down before getting on the plane was (which would explain some of the absolutely ridiculous conversations he tried to have with several of the stewards, which he seems not to remember). I, however, have found the best way to ensure that you sleep for 10 hours straight on an airplane--stay up all through the night before.

After casually packing in the morning, I was so beyond destroyed and cranky. I fully fell asleep in the waiting area of the airport, only waking up as they began bording. This really pissed me off, as I had very real inentions of subjecting myself to a rocky road milkshake from the Ben and Jerry's that was just a ways down from my gate. Andrew Riedmueller called just after I went through security. The milkshake was his idea. He is a little bit of a genious. But, thanks to some British crackers who made practical use of highschool chem, I cant take my edible goods of medium to low viscocity on the plane with me, so that option was totally out. I still really want a danged milkshake. I am not a happy camper.

Instead, I returned Kasia's call and mumbled incoherently into the phone at her and Ligaya while poking myself in the eye to try to stay awake long enough to make it to the tarmak. It worked. Kinda.

So, the overseas flight was a blur. I had all of 30 minutes to get from one gate to the other in Germany. No water, no toilet, still no chocolate milkshake. I fell asleep again on the flight to Budapest, but fortunately, this totally proper fellow from Frankfurt hung onto a sandwhich for me, and I woke up to a clear sky below us with the beautiful Hungarian patchworked landscape spread out beneath, to a cheese sandwhich and a hot cup of coffee, and to the distinct feeling that this morning was going to be a pleasant one.

And now a bit about Hungarian radio. Or music at least. While we were waiting to be towed to the gate in Budapest, "The Boy From Impanema" was playing on the overhead. On the MiniBus to the dormatory, the radio played Elton John's "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from The Lion King. Right now, the restaurant in the hotel is playing a CD of Tom Jones covers, including "Time Goes By." I have not yet decided is this is an mark of the most horrible or most completely awesome state of affairs. It's absolutely intriguing at the very least.

I am staying at the Hotel Seni Studium in Budapest for the next 2 weeks. This is sort of what it looks like. This picture is taken from a funny angle. I am splitting quarters with a girl named Eva from Slovenia. The room is so so so tiny. We were both really surprised when we walked in. Its smaller than the average single dorm room--maybe 8x10--with two single beds squished in there and barely a foot and a half between them. There is also a bathroom. There is a shower, but the entire bathroom is a shower. There is a drain in the floor, and a shower head over the sink. So, you just shut the door, avoid the sink, and go for it.

I was hoping that there would be some sort of organization or welcoming activities for the students, as I totally knew that I would get here and not know what to do with myself. As it is, there is nothing planned until 10am tomorrow morning, my roommate Eva has run off with her Slovenian boyfriend, and I have no idea what to do with myself. I think I may go on a mission for a local store, as I have nothing in the way of soap or towels, nor does the hotel seem much prepared to provide them, and I need a shower like I cant remember needing one in a long time.

Oh, and I do mean to register for those Jedi classes. International woman of mystery and Jedi mind powers. I love it. I need new business cards.

I just lost the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home